Residents in our service area receive mixed recycling collection service every-other week. The County provides blue recycling containers in three sizes, 30, 60, or 90 gallons. Download our flyer for a complete listing of acceptable recyclable materials. An extra container is available at no cost, and a change in container size can be obtained by calling Customer Service at 916-875-5555.
Acceptable/Unacceptable Materials: (brochure)
Click on the link above to see a brochure listing which types of materials are acceptable or unacceptable for your curbside mixed recycling collection can. For more information on waste acceptability, click here to visit the A to Z Materials Guide.
Curbside Collection Used Motor Oil/Filters and Cooking Oil Recycling: (brochure)
The County collects used motor oil, used oil filters, and cooking oil on the same day as your mixed recycling day. Please follow the guidelines below when placing your used motor oil, used oil filters, and cooking oil at the curb:
- Do not contaminate used motor oil or cooking oil by mixing it with other automotive fluids, including gasoline.
- Do not place used oil containers and filters in the mixed recycling container.
- Place used oil filters in a sealed plastic bag (filters must be drained before bagging).
- Place used motor oil or cooking oil in a rigid or semi-rigid plastic container no larger than five (5) quarts. Juice jugs, five (5) quart motor oil containers, detergent bottles, 2-liter soda bottles, milk jugs, or water jugs are good to use. Screw and/or tape lids shut to prevent spills.
- Place used motor oil, used oil filters and cooking oil on the ground at least three (3) feet away from the mixed recycling container.
- Other motor oil recycling options are available in the Sacramento area.
Removing recyclables from a curbside container is considered scavenging and is a crime pursuant to Section 6.20.160 of the Sacramento County Code. To report scavenging, call the Sacramento County Information hotline at 916-875-5656 or TDD 916-875-7105.